BOARD OF DIRECTOR OPPORTUNITY
Food For The Poor of Canada, Inc. is seeking outstanding individuals to join our Board of Directors. In particular, we are seeking individuals with strong networks, to grow our base of passionate and engaged donors. Food For The Poor Canada is going through an exciting period of growth; we are in our 10th year working with Canadians for Jamaica and Haiti. The board of directors plays a critical role in driving forward this time of growth by capitalizing on the credibility, network and experience we have gained over the last 9 years, combined with the collaboration, support and partnership of Food For The Poor internationally.
WHO WE ARE
Food For The Poor Canada provides aid and sustainable development to communities across the Caribbean and Latin America. With an annual budget of $2.5 million (including cash and goods-in-kind), Food For The Poor Canada aims to empower communities to lift themselves out of poverty through holistic and community-led programming in:
▪ Sustainable livelihood
Through a profound understanding of the communities we work with and an established network of local partners, Food For The Poor Canada delivers immediate, efficient and need-responsive aid and development. Primarily serving Jamaica and Haiti (with plans to add more Caribbean and Latin American countries as we grow), we ship and distribute food, medicines, and educational supplies; build homes and schools, train teachers; and develop income-generating projects.
In the last 9 years, Food For The Poor Canada has built 27 schools, helped train early childhood teachers, built over 70 homes, responded impactfully with emergency relief supplies after hurricanes and earthquakes and has shipped CAD $20,000,000 in medical, food and educational donations.
Food For The Poor was started in 1982 in Jamaica and has since grown to become the largest charities in the respective host-countries; Food For The Poor Jamaica, Food For The Poor Haiti, Food For The Poor Guyana, and the largest international charity based in the US, Food For The Poor, Inc.
Food For The Poor Canada launched in 2008, as an independent but affiliated member of the network. Today, the international Christian organization works in 17 countries across the Caribbean and Latin America, with programming of USD one billion annually. Food For The Poor has built relationships on the ground with community leaders, governments, churches, schools, hospitals, orphanages and NGO partners, earning the trust of the communities they serve.
Board of Directors Role
Food For The Poor Canada is currently directed by a board of 8 members who have the role of governing the organisation in line with its mission, providing overall strategic direction and ensuring fiduciary oversight, in addition to being strong community ambassadors.
Criteria for all directors
- Commitment to the vision, mission and strategic goals of Food For The Poor Canada.
- Interest in and/or affinity with the Caribbean and Latin American region.
- Interest in justice, education and poverty reduction
- Willingness to act as a representative/spokesperson for the organization in the public and at events.
- Experience or understanding of non-profit boards and their role.
- Enthusiasm to advance a philanthropic culture by participating in fundraising efforts, including asking others to support the organization and thanking those who already have.
- Ability to prepare for and to attend quarterly board meetings, as well as occasional fundraising or other special events.
- Ability to sit on task force or committee’s to move our goals forward.
- Willing to make a financial contribution to the organization and ask others to do the same.
- Commitment to act in the best interest of the organization and avoid making decisions where there is a real or perceived conflict of interest.
Expressions of Interest
We encourage interested candidates to get in touch with us by February 15th, 2018. Please send us a brief email to email@example.com outlining why this sounds like an opportunity you want to explore, along with your CV or career summary. Alternately, please call if you have specific questions or would like to have an exploratory conversation with us first.
- On January 29, 2018